IntroductionDormers, also referred to as dormer windows are a vertical extension built into a pitched roof to give headroom and floor space usually in a room that has sloped ceilings.
The term dormer is derived from the French word "dormeorr" meaning "sleeping room"
Modern dormer constructions are subject to the same building controls as any other part of a building, but older buildings will often have timber framed dormers that have old worn felt roofs and usually little or no insulation in the roof or the walls.
Dormers will have a high level of perimeter detail which will all need maintenance, what looks like a small area of the building can have the potential for a big project when renovating or upgrading.
The Varying Types of DormerFlat Roof - requires insulation and a good waterproofing layer
Pitched roof - some dormers are pitched roof with tile or slate
Other aspects of dormer roofs:
- Roofline - The fascia, soffit and guttering often built in to add dimension to the appearance.Dormer cheeks and fronts - these are the side walls, usually timber, can be covered in lead or timber cladding, and require insulation.
- Pitched roof abutments - You will usually always find front lead aprons, side flashings and lead valleys on pitched roofed dormers.
- Window. - Most dormers will have a window which is almost always inaccessible normally.
- All of our flat roof systems are compatible with dormer flat roofs.
- These range from the relatively inexpensive liquid applied overlay, to a full Warm-roof with new roofline and guttering which will improve the appearance and performance of the dormer.
- We usually re-roof these areas using the same tiles so the appearance of the property remains intact.
- While the roof is stripped it gives us a great opportunity to check all insulation is in place and ventilation paths are clear.
- Using our dry-fixed maintenance-free verge, ridge and valley systems ensure that this work does not need to be repeated for decades.
- A few creative choices with colours and styles can change a drab part of the building into something more stylish and robust.
- uPVC or metal rooflines will ensure a future that's free of more maintenance work.
- These walls are usually hollow timber frames and without any adequate insulation.
- As well as making the rooms inside quite cold, this will also add to the condensation risk in the building.
- Old style hanging concrete tiles or rotten timber can be changed for new PVC cladding, new tiles or other cladding materials to compliment the building.
- The junction between the dormer walls and the slope of the main roof are where we normally find problems when we're called out to leaks on dormers.
- We always strip back the tiles and slates and renew the roofing felt and battens around the perimeter of the dormer before refitting the roof coverings.
- Once the lead flashings have also been replaced, a snug watertight seal will last for many years to come.
- Not many window fitters like climbing around on roofs, and when they do, damage is caused.
- We ensure that our Fensa professionally accredited fitters know exactly how to access your dormer windows safely and without breakages.
- uPVC windows are recommended due to the low maintenance required.
- With the correct hinges fitted, the window can also be used as a fire escape, and have access to clean the outside of the glass from the inside of the building.
What our clients say
How refreshing to deal with a thoroughly professional company who understand customer service and quality work. The team treated my house as a home not a building site and nothing was too much trouble. I would have no hesitation in recommending them
It was a pleasure dealing with a Company that provides a highly professional and considerate service. I have received a number of (good) comments regarding the works from neighbours and also a note through the front door - all of whom asked who was carrying the work and for your contact details which I have passed on - I hope you get at least one enquiry from those.
Stace Roofing provide a quality professional service delivered by skilled staff who are polite, considerate and leave the site clean and tidy.
Mr P Roffey
Stace Roofing have consistently supported our works with excellent workmanship, friendly advice, great flexibility and assistance above and beyond the call of duty, providing a user friendly non-contractual service, favouring open and honest discussion.