Single Ply Roofs
IntroductionOnce only regarded as a commercial roof covering, Single-ply is now widely used in residential flat roofs and its stunning smooth grey appearance has become more popular since the anthracite colours exploded into fashion.
Two types of Single-ply are commonly used, TPO and PVC, both are strong and flexible membranes which feel like soft rubbery plastic. The membrane comes in either 1 or 2 metre wide rolls membranes, when correctly heat-welded, fuse together to become one at the molecular level. Therefore the join is at least as strong as the membrane itself with NO weak points.
This system has become the choice of architects and house designers across the country when building new flat roofs or extensions. Single-ply can cope with any complexity of detail on any type of flat roof and is versatile in submerged situations where ponding is unavoidable or a green roof or terrace has been fitted on top.
Single-ply is the most professionally recognised flat roof system on the market and the biggest players in our industry either started with single-ply or have added it to their product ranges. It is the most widely accepted flat-roof covering that carries the least amount of negative press.
At Stace Roofing we're fully aware that flat roofs are not shiny new cars but if they were, this would be the Bentley of the flat roofing world!
Let's face it, flat roofs are flat roofs, but if you are going to have a new one or replace an old flat roof, do you want a Skoda or a Bentley?
Single-ply roofs, when professionally installed by enthusiastic fitters (who love nothing more than to stand back at the end of each roof and admire their own work), WILL 100% make your property look better than it would with a standard felt roof.
Add that to the fact that you will most likely never need to have this roof replaced for at least 35-40 years, it's worth doing it properly the first time. Our Single-ply roofs are expected to last at least 35-40 Years and come with a Bomb-proof 15, 20 or 25 Year, no quibble, fixed guarantee thats covered by the manufacturers own insurance policy.
Fitting a Green Roof? No additional work is required on a Single-ply roof as it is 100% fully waterproof and designed for use on submerged roofs.
- Do you want the absolute best flat roofing system on the market?
- Are you building a balcony, terrace or having a green roof?
- Can you see your new roof from anywhere else? - a window, your garden or drive?
- Can your neighbours see it?
As with any Flat Roof system, there will also be negative opinions which sadly can influence property owners into believing that it is a flawed system.
At Stace Roofing we offer a total of 5 flat roofing systems and I have personally heard it said that every single one of them is destined to fail or is not a good quality lasting system. This is almost always biased information from someone that is trying to discredit a particular system or from someone that has been on the wrong end of a bad job.
Single-ply gets the least amount of negative feedback due to the professionalism shown by the majority of the elite fitters that spent their careers studying and practicing this type of roofing.
Single-ply MythsBut let's dispel any negative perception before we go any further:
- Single-ply does not crack or split - If the right material is fitted properly and it's still within it's guarantee period
- Single-ply does not fail if you correctly follow the fixing procedures designed and tested by the manufacturer
- Single-ply does not let in water through the laps and joints if it has been correctly welded
- Single-ply does not fail after 10 years, it lasts over 35 years if the whole project has been specified, planned and fitted CORRECTLY by fully trained fitters.
- There are some fitters out there giving Single-ply a really bad name because of the following reasons:
- They are not adequately trained. Some Single-ply systems are available to buy off the shelf in a few roofing merchants and the training is usually a Youtube video.
- They do not know how to run a business. All they want to do is make a days wages, they are not investing in themselves so they will be around in the future if you ever have problems.
- They try to save as much money as possible by skimping on materials. They use the cheapest membrane they can find.
- They try to do the job as fast as possible so they can get onto the next job and make even more money. They skip the essential work needed to ensure the membrane has been heated to the correct temperature to ensure the laps have fully welded together.
- They are fairly sure you are not going to get up on the roof to check their work.- We encourage it.
Every single flat roofing system on the market will fail if it hasn't been fitted properly.
But that doesn't mean that every system is the same, or is suitable for every roof or property owners requirements.
So we are completely unbiased when recommending a system, we always recommend the right system for the right type of roof or budget.back to top ^
- Once your roof has been fully checked and signed off, you will get a full written guarantee from Stace Roofing.
- Your guarantee from us will include a no quibble repair policy should anything go wrong with your roof for the period stated on your quotation and invoice.
- We will pay for any scaffolding that is needed to get back onto your roof and all of the labour and materials needed to fix the defect.
- In the highly unlikely event that any problems arise in the future, you will not need to worry.
- Roofing Materials - Any defects covered by Stace Roofing & The manufacturer for 10, 15, 20 or 25 Years
- The workmanship - covered by Stace Roofing
- The Roofing Materials - Any defects covered by Stace Roofing and the manufacturer.
- The workmanship - covered by Stace Roofing
- Full deposit protection. An insurance policy that starts as soon as your deposit has been received. (Competent Roofer Scheme - Insulated Refurbishment work only)
- Building Regulation Compliance Certificate to cover all the work. (Competent Roofer Scheme - Insulated Refurbishment work only)
- Post Completion Insurance Backed Guarantee covering all work for 10 years. covered by Certass (Competent Roofer Scheme - Insulated Refurbishment work only)
SummarySo Single-ply is the best choice for you if:
- You want the best flat roof covering that will complement the appearance of your building
- You want a tough roof covering that will easily repair after any impact from falling roof tiles and objects
- You have a roof that has complicated detail that could potentially cause future problems
- You want virtually zero maintenance for the next 30 years
- You want a Bentley not a Skoda (No offence meant to Skoda owners)
Your Next StepsClick here to get a copy of our flat roof buyers guide.
Click here to book a survey
Click here to get a quote
Click here to request a call back
Or call us on 01664 431370 or freephone 0800 555 5555
Please look out in your inbox for our thank you email which will contain your free access to our 11 point Homebuyers guide which will show you the essential do's and don'ts when employing any contractor to work on your property.
Technical InformationSingle-ply membranes are integrated with UV resistors at source during the manufacturing process which means the membrane won't break down and become brittle like some materials over time and despite being just 1.5mm thick you can't tear it or damage it like traditional felts.
They're dimensionally stable and will repeatedly accommodate normal structural movement without fatigue. Low temperature flexibility has been tested down to -35 degrees C, a temperature we thankfully don't see too often here in the UK.
All membranes are fire resistant and self-extinguishing. In addition, they cannot be ignited by flying sparks.
With a huge range of accessories such as factory made outlets, railing post feet and roof anchor points which are seamlessly welded into the roof surface with no risk of water ingress, Single-ply has become the choice of architects all over the globe.
Most systems come in 2 options.
Mechanically fixed: the membrane is screwed to the roof structure using screws and washers on the hidden part of the sheet that is being welded over.
Fully Adhered - A fleece-backed membrane which requires no fixing and can glue directly to insulation, concrete, timber, metal and many other surfaces
Insulation & Warm Roof
The ability to lay single-ply directly onto insulation boards without the need for a timber deck make this system incredibly economical on the right sized roof. The mechanically fixed system is laid over any foil-faced PIR insulation board (Celotex/Kingspan or similar) using a thermally efficient washer system.
The fully adhered (glued) system is laid with PU glue onto a tissue-faced PIR board (Kingspan TR27 or similar) - This system is compatible with the self-adhered VCL (Vapour control layer) or traditional bitumen based felt type VCL. The majority of the adhered system will be glued to the roof without mechanical fixings but some components such as edge trims and restraint bars will be mechanically fixed.
Guarantees & Life Expectancy
An insurance backed warranty is offered as standard with most of the single-ply manufacturers and virtually all systems operate an approved-only fitter policy, meaning you have to be trained by them to buy and use it.
Guarantee periods between 15 and 25 years are available.
Manufacturers Individual warranty certificates are issued with every project which is company insurance-backed to cover the cost of repairing or replacing any defective waterproofing material or workmanship failure.
All warranties are fully transferable in the event of your property changing hands.
Single Ply membrane can be used at zero falls making it suitable for use on waterproof barriers, dams, buried structures and also beneath green living roofs, slabs and decking and any other flat roof covering.
Colours: White, Light Grey, Anthracite
Coverable: Ok for slabs, decking, green roofs with no additional measures required - (Subject to ELD leak test)
Detail suitability: Perfect for Complex detail
Edge Trims: Metal. Big choice of colours, bespoke trims can be made
Warm-Roof Compatible: Yes, Thermal break fixing washers on foil faced PIR or fully adhered onto tissue-faced PIR boards
Warranty: Up to 25 Years (All roofs over 100m2 inspected by Manufacturer)
Life Expectancy: 35-40 Years
UV resistant: Yes
Root Resistant: Yes
Green Roof Compatible: Yes
Inverted Roof: Yes
back to top ^